Thursday, June 21, 2012

Finally, Some Relief!


The high today was only 80 degrees!  It's been in the high 80's/low 90's all week. I do not do well in the heat.  I decided a couple years ago that because I don't like winter and can't stand the cold, I was not going to complain about the heat, no matter how hot it was.  I've been pretty good about sticking to that, but not complaining about it is not the same as not feeling it.  And, as it turns out, it's probably genetic.  Peanut does not do well in the heat either.  There's a famous story in my family about me as a baby being inconsolable on a hot day until my dad finally plopped me in a cool tub--and I shut up immediately.  Lucky for me that I know the story.  The first really hot day we had, Peanut was pretty fussy and I thought of a bath right away.  She's never enjoyed the tub so much as she has this summer.  Wet kitchen floors to prove it.

Anyway, a couple nights ago it was the worst it's been so far.  Yesterday we got a window A/C unit for the bedroom from my sister (for FREE, she's so awesome), but the hottest night this week found Peanut and me laying on the bed upstairs practically dripping with sweat.  And of course, she nurses to sleep, so our combined body heat made it almost unbearable.  We had a fan going but it was just moving the hot air around, not really helping with anything.  Matt and I have our big window covered with a blanket to keep the early morning sun out, but we pull it aside a little when we open the window so the air can get in.  I glanced over to make sure the blanket was moved over, and it was.  Still SO hot.  Matt got home from work at around 11:45 p.m. and found us upstairs, Peanut still awake because of the heat.  She finally went to sleep around 12:45, more than two hours past her average bedtime, and we both slept badly.

Next morning, I was putting clothes away and glanced over at the window.  And it was closed.  As it must also have been the night before, because I hadn't touched it since.

DOH! 

Oh well, we're still alive.  And we've been finding ways to keep cool during the day.


Playing in the sprinkler at home



Playing in the sprinkler at G&G Tomac's house.  We were invited over to spend the afternoon in the air conditioning, and gladly accepted.


I even put Peanut in a swimsuit.  She had a fever that day though, so not too animated.
Sorry, Grandma Tomac, I couldn't see the screen on my phone to know that this was not the best picture. :(  I wanted to stick it in though because I like Peanut's ponytail!
Gotta love free summertime entertainment!  (Well, free until I see the water bill.  But still worth it!)
Have a great day!  Stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment