Today, while hanging out on Facebook, I noticed a trend starting. Several people are taking the time each day in the month of November to name one thing for which they are thankful. Seems like a pretty good idea. I could use a reality check right now--my life does not suck, no matter what my mood and brain chemicals are telling me. But, since it is nearing midnight on November 1st, I will combine days 1 and 2.
So, since I'm combining the first two days together, let's start at the very beginning. (I hear it's a very good place to start.)
I am thankful for my mom and my dad.
Let's start separately (and in no particular order--they both know that I love them the most, so it doesn't matter who goes first). My mom is my best friend. Sorry, Matt, but it's true. She's known me the longest, and she knows me the best. She's known me at my best. And at my very worst. And she still puts up with my kids every Sunday. (That's love for you.) I admire my mom so much. She is one of the strongest, most courageous women I know, and she has no idea how strong and courageous she actually is. I can't claim to know exactly what her life has been like, since I haven't lived it, but what I see is adherence to God's wisdom and His commandments and rejection of what the world apart from God calls wise. I am so thankful that God gave us to each other.
My dad has also seen me at my best and my worst. The lone man, drifting on a life raft in the sea of estrogen that was our house in the '90s. I don't know how we managed to stay close after my teen years, but we did. He is always in my corner. We like hanging out together. We have traditions. I think the world of him. He is also one of the bravest people I know. (There are two kinds of bravery, by the way, if you've never noticed. There is bravery in the face of the unknown, and there is the kind of bravery that is shown by knowing exactly what you'll be facing and choosing to face it anyway.) I am so thankful that God gave us to each other.
Together, my parents are the ultimate example of commitment in a marriage, and an example of how two very different people can grow together as a result of a commitment like that. Imperfect though it may be, like anyone else's, their marriage is what I look to as an example of how God blesses commitment between a husband and wife. I am very thankful for that example.
------------------------------------
And so begins my month-long discovery of my blessings. I call it a discovery and not an acknowledgment because it's been so long since I've thought about my blessings that I couldn't find them right away when I needed them, so now I have to go looking for them again. So we'll see what we can find.
(And if any of you out there are gasping in horror and thinking, "Why isn't she thankful for God in her life?!" just because I didn't list Him on Day 1, don't worry. I didn't forget. I've got something in mind.)
What are you thankful for today?
No comments:
Post a Comment